News: 'Convert' & Watch Your Old DVDs on Your Smartphone with Vudu

'Convert' & Watch Your Old DVDs on Your Smartphone with Vudu

Now you can watch your old copy of Bridget Jones's Diary anywhere, anytime, on your smartphone. It's a dream come true! (Disclaimer: This dream may oddly specific to me.)

Vudu, the digital streaming company owned by Walmart, has taken another step to make its disc-to-digital options both easy and cheap. You can now "convert" a movie (aka prove you bought the disc and gain access to their digital version) for only $2.

It's super simple: To get started, all you have to do is get a copy of your favorite DVD or Blu-ray box, download and open the Vudu app, and scan the barcode on the back of the cover. As mentioned, the access fee to a digital version of the same quality is $2, for both Blu-ray and standard DVD quality, but users may also upgrade a regular DVD to a high definition digital version for $5.

The main caveat, other than the price, is a slightly limited selection of titles available to convert. They have a library of over 8,000 movies, and a spokesperson for Vudu told The Verge, "There is something for everyone including fan favorites like the Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and the Bourne series, as well as classics like Top Gun and The Godfather." While I'm skeptical about the lack of a Bridget Jones mention, I'm still on board.

The digital copy is the UltraViolet digital version which can be accessed through Vudu or Flixster, which both support offline playback, as well as through Verizon FiOS. Unfortunately, Amazon Locker and (obviously) iTunes do not support Vudu's "digital locker" system yet.

To start binge-watching your faves digitally from your Blu-ray and/or DVD collection, download the Vudu app for Android or iOS. Apps are also available on Roku, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PC, Mac, and some smart HDTVs.

Just updated your iPhone? You'll find new emoji, enhanced security, podcast transcripts, Apple Cash virtual numbers, and other useful features. There are even new additions hidden within Safari. Find out what's new and changed on your iPhone with the iOS 17.4 update.

Cover image via Vudu

1 Comment

I can see people just going into the store to scan barcodes, ha.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Latest