News: 5-Year-Old Injured as Another Samsung Explodes

5-Year-Old Injured as Another Samsung Explodes

A 5-year-old girl was injured after the battery in another Samsung phone exploded in China. The Samsung Note 4 was reportedly charging next to the sleeping girl when it blew up in her Guizhou-based home.

The Guizhou Metropolitan Daily reports that the child's hands, face, and hair were burnt as a result. The girl has since been unable to talk, sleep, or eat due to the pain, and the accident may have also permanently scarred her.

The phone was bought in Puding County, according to the girl's father, Zheng Lingling, who told local papers that it cost 2,699 yuan ($390US). The retailer subsequently confirmed that he believed the phone was a genuine product purchased through Samsung's channels, but noted the battery may not have been original to the phone. A Samsung representative who checked the device after the incident was adamant that the battery was fake.

Samsung's rep said the battery was fake, not like seen here. Image by Kārlis Dambrāns/Flickr

In a statement, the Korean company said they "would like to express our concern to those injured, and we have been communicating with our client, in order to find out the cause of the problem."

It's not the first time there was an issue with exploding Samsung phones. Last year, the tech giant issued a worldwide recall of the Samsung Galaxy Note7 after a rash of explosions and fires due to battery defects.

Just updated your iPhone? You'll find new features for Podcasts, News, Books, and TV, as well as important security improvements and fresh wallpapers. Find out what's new and changed on your iPhone with the iOS 17.5 update.

Cover photo via Karlis Dambrans/Flickr

Be the First to Comment

Share Your Thoughts

  • Hot
  • Latest